Brixton Academy to remain closed until April following death at morning gig

0
1
Brixton Academy to remain closed until April following death at morning gig


Brixton Academy

Brixton Academy will be closed for another three months after the tragic incident (Photo: Vuk Valcic/ZUMA Press Wire/Shutterstock)

Brixton Academy is set to remain closed until April following a death at the Asake gig last month.

Two people lost their lives after the musician was crushed during a performance on December 15. Both injured first in the foyer of the building.

Rebecca Icumero, 33, died in hospital on December 17 and Gabby Hutchinson, 23, died on December 19.

A third concert-goer, 21, is still in the hospital and fighting for his life.

On 22nd December, it was reported that Brixton Academy’s license could be temporarily suspended following a tragic incident in which people broke into the venue from outside and overcrowded the venue.

The much-loved venue was originally ordered to close to the public until January 16 pending an investigation.

Two dead at Asake gig, one concertgoer still in hospital in serious condition (Photo: Getty)

But now, Academy Music Group (AMG), which runs Brixton Academy, has revealed that it will remain closed as long as inquiries continue.

The Lambeth Council’s Licensing Subcommittee is scheduled to meet on Monday (the day the venue was previously scheduled to reopen) to make a formal decision on its future.

according to BBC news, It is very likely that the suspension will continue for another 3 months.

The London Metropolitan Police, which is leading the investigation into the crash, also said it planned to use next week’s meeting to seek a continued suspension of site permits.

Brixton Academy

A meeting will be held on Monday (January 16) to determine the future of the venue (Photo: Thabo Jaiyesimi/SOPA Images/Shutterstock)

Law enforcement said the closure “will give us time to work with venues to facilitate their safe reopening.”

“O2 Academy Brixton recognizes the seriousness of the events that occurred on the evening of 15th December 2022 and extends our deepest condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in this tragic event and was affected. I express my sincere concern to all.

“The Licensee (AMG) understands what happened and is committed to cooperating with the various ongoing investigations, including cooperating fully with the police in conducting the investigation.”

Metropolitan Police are investigating a crash that saw 3,000 people smash a door (Photo: Thabo Jaiyesimi/SOPA Images/Shut)

Afrobeat performer Asake, 28, has also released a statement earlier, expressing his grief.

“My heart goes out to those who were injured last night and made them feel uncomfortable in any way,” he said after an estimated 3,000 people broke down the door.

At the time, he wished his deceased fans “well” and added that he was “in the process of reaching out personally.”

The cause of the fatal crash is unknown, but Asake said, “I’m grateful that everything was peaceful at the end.”

Do you have a story?

If you have a celebrity story, video or photo, email [email protected], call 020 3615 2145 or visit our submission page to contact the Metro.co.uk entertainment team Please contact I look forward to hearing from you.

MORE : Mick Fleetwood shares the touching tribute he read at Christine McVie’s memorial service:

MORE: Lisa Marie Presley will be buried at Graceland next to late son Benjamin Keough, who died in 2020



#Brixton #Academy #remain #closed #April #death #morning #gig



Credit